The following information is provided (with permission) from Dr Tim O’Shea’s Website – http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/intro/
YOUR HEALTH IN TODAY’S WORLD
When it comes to health in today’s world, it’s a matter of protection: taking great care to fortify ourselves and our children against an increasingly hostile environment.
There are so many forces arrayed against the natural vitality of the body, against the glowing good health which has been our birthright in the past and which the last generation had come to take for granted. A very different world today. Robust good health for today’s children can no longer be presumed just by following common sense traditions of healthy living, or by listening to unreliable notions of health broadcast all day on TV.
Here is some of the evidence of the predatory forces at large today, obstacles to normal good health:
- The skyrocketing of childhood allergies and asthma
- The prevalence of experimental Genetically Modified foods in the diet
- The presence of over 60,000 chemicals to which we are at risk of daily exposure through air, food, and water
- The unprecedented number of vaccines mandated for American children and adults today
- The ongoing cover-up of the continuing epidemic of autism in the US, which cases today may number anywhere between 1 and 4 million
- The increasing almost random incidence of malignant tumours in seemingly healthy people who have none of the standard risk factors for cancer
- The absence of regulation ensuring the safety of produce and processed foods in our supermarkets
- The increased pitch of the marketing of prescription drugs, as seen in every possible information medium: TV, internet, magazines, videos, radio, medical literature, etc.
- The 10% infertility rate among American married couples
- The 14% enrolment in learning disability programs for US children
- The 1 in 6 rate of children with a neuro developmental disorder
- The 60% overweight and obesity figure among Americans
- The epidemic incidence of cancer today among non-risk groups, that is, in children, in individuals who are in apparently good health, not overweight, non-smokers,–in other words, cancer in healthy people.
Our last line of defence is to educate ourselves, really educate ourselves. But education in the classical sense, using our powers of careful discrimination to detect the difference between standard programming and true factual information. Unfortunately, reliable knowledge is hard-won, requiring a bit of study and reflection. And the drive to keep digging until we find it. [see Chapters section, to the left]
To be moulded by standard programming on the other hand is very easy: just sit back and absorb the two second sound bytes that are repeated over and over all day every day in all the media.
This website (http://www.thedoctorwithin.com/intro) is dedicated to providing referenced, scientific data on a variety of holistic and alternative medicine topics, focusing on universal principles, sound physiology, and the undiluted healing powers of the body itself.
There is no disease, no illness, no physical imbalance which will not respond to the innate, healing power of nature, once it is summoned. Once it is set free.
Healers of the past have already solved most health problems of today. Unfortunately, most of their work died with them. Their voices have been muted by the din of a thousand self-proclaimed experts and Magic Bullet salesmen. This website seeks to draw from the forgotten wisdom of the past, and to honour its simplicity.
Despite what you may hear, our health is deteriorating year by year. The rates of all degenerative diseases in this country are increasing. We have more asthma, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, depression, arthritis, allergies, digestive disorders, and obesity than ever before in history. Our children are fatter, sicker and dumber than ever before. At the same time we spend more and more money each year for “Health Care.” We have more doctors and more drugs than any civilization in history. But it’s not working.
What’s not working is the underlying idea. If doctors and drugs could give us better health, we’d already be better. That is why the field of holistic medicine is growing so fast – it’s survival.
Today the field of alternative medicine is like a wild jungle, full of unsubstantiated claims, junk science, and marketing hype. To trek through that terrain alone, without a guide – just doing internet searches for natural medicine or holistic health will soon plunge the reader into a miasma of cut and paste ad copy.
The healthiest people in human history were groups who were geographically isolated from “civilization.” These people had no specialists, no HMOs, no prescription drugs, and no immense hospitals. They were never subverted with the idea that the responsibility for their own health lay outside themselves. Except in the cases of traumatic injury, for most of their lives they looked to the body’s inner wisdom, and trusted only that. And it worked – they had beautiful teeth, strong bones, and very little degenerative disease.
Today it’s almost as though our ancestors are trying to speak to us. The searching, jumbled mess we find in the field of today’s Alternative Medicine has a real, valid, vital, underlying power source: the impulse to give the body time to heal itself, to let it try and put the steps of the healing process together all by itself, without potent, unproven interventions – in short, to listen first to
t h e d o c t o r w i t h i n