ARE YOU GETTING ENOUGH?
Our Ridiculously Simple Steps To Transform Your Health (and Life) involves making sure you are getting enough! No-one really knows for sure how much is enough, but I am sure in most cases, most people are not getting it and their health suffers as a result.
We often hear advice about drinking eight glasses of water a day but in China your recommendation may be to drink when you are thirsty – that may or may not extend to eight glasses a day. More importantly we need to drink regularly throughout the day. We should in fact hydrate every hour for our body’s electrical systems to function best. If you are feeling thirsty, it is all ready an indication that your body is under-hydrated – in much the same way that the oil light comes on in your car when it is low on oil!
Over the years, people have unlearned the art of really listening to their bodies and in so doing often miss important subtle messages. Strangely, we need to relearn how to listen to our bodies and one way to do this is to observe nature around us. No-one tells our animals how much they should drink – they do it intuitively – small amounts and often and more if they have been extending extra energy! This seems really simple, but somehow the simplicity of it seems to have escaped many.
It has been established that our body’s cries for food is in fact (very often) a cry for water! Water plays a hugely important role in cellular health as our bodies have electromagnetic circuits over which information travels, and by being well hydrated this information has free course, as water is a conductor of electricity. Electrical impulses are generated by your brain and are used for intercellular communication. This is possible because your body is composed mainly of water with a high mineral content making it highly, electrically conductive.
Cells know when to divide by vibrating. Brain cells, nerve cells and bone cells all vibrate at different rates in order to communicate with one another and even a slight drop in correct hydration will interfere with these messages. Cells become plaqued together when there is not enough water to hydrate the tissues. This leads to rigidity and stiffness.
Did you know that….?
- Water makes up more than half of your body weight
- The need for water is the top reason for daytime fatigue
- A glass of water usually relieves midnight hunger pangs
- Drinking enough water every day can help ease back and joint pain
- Even a slight drop in body water can cause fuzzy thinking
- Mild dehydration affects your metabolism, slowing it down
- Thirst is often mistaken for hunger so you eat instead of drinking water
- Every cell in your body depends on water to function properly
- Water also transports oxygen throughout your body and helps eliminate toxins
- Water plays an integral role in virtually EVERY bodily function.
- Your body temperature is regulated by water by allowing you to perspire and in turn cool your skin and blood
- Water provides shock protection to your joints and organs
- Being properly hydrated prevents your skin from becoming dry and itchy
- Water reduces the level of the stress hormone, cortisol (the stress or or commonly called “death hormone”)
- Water helps dissolve minerals and other nutrients for maximum accessibility throughout your body
- Your natural healing processes are strengthened by drinking pure water
- Water acts as a calorie-free, caffeine-free appetite suppressant
- Urine that is cloudier or darker than light straw is a sign of dehydration and that means—more water please!
One of the side benefits from drinking more regularly (especially for people with sedentary jobs) is that you will need to go to the toilet more often and in so doing, will be moving about – we were not designed to sit for long periods! (see Ridiculously Simple Step To Transform Your Health (and Life – Step Four)
The amount of water you need to drink will depend on many factors :
- How much you exercise
- Your body size
- The climate and environment in which you live
IF you happen to be one of those rare people drinking large amounts of water you may need to replace the electrolytes your body has lost but before you go thinking you need to purchase some expensive “electrolyte replacement” sports drink, think again. All you need do is add a tiny pinch of unprocessed sea salt (if it is pure white and flows into your salt shaker it is processed!!) to approx every two to three litres of water. Healthy sea salt is generally grey and sticky. Unprocessed sea salt contains up to 94 different minerals. Regular table salt is one mineral – sodium. Avoid it!!
By employing this weeks Ridiculously Simple Step To Transform Your Health (and Life) – drinking water more regularly (even hourly), you have the opportunity to improve your health and watch your energy soar!
Drinking lemon water first thing in the morning will stimulate the body’s natural cleansing and detoxifying processes. Lemons are alkalizing in the body (despite being perceived as acidic) thus bringing your inner chemistry into pH balance.
Water is what your body requires – not tea or coffee or other drinks laced with sugar. If you wouldn’t wash in it – avoid drinking it!! And do all you can to drink good quality filtered water.
Your comments and suggestions are invited on this blog post. Thankyou.