Many people have a misconception about chiropractic and the critical role it plays in health and well-being. That misconception is, that chiropractic care is limited to treating back and neck pain and although many people have experienced relief from back and neck pain through chiropractic care, the foundation, intent, and vision of chiropractic is far beyond simply helping to reduce symptoms.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF CHIROPRACTORS:
1. Chiropractors - whose interest is in musculoskeletal injuries and disorders.
2. Wellness or Vitalistic Chiropractors – whose main focus is on prevention of disease and your general health and well-being and that of your whole family, and to maximise the life potential of every person on the planet.
We currently have a national health system that is really a “sickness” system. The difference between sickness care and health care is as follows:
1. The sickness industry is reactive, which means people wait until they are sick and then look for a “cure” – generally hoping for a quick fix, since that is what we have been taught to expect – quick fixes, and although sometimes the “quick fix” might give relief of the symptoms it is not “fixing” or getting to the cause of the problem at all – rather just covering up the symptoms – like putting a cloth over the red oil light on the dashboard of your car so that you cannot see it- avoiding it at your later expense!
2. The wellness industry is proactive, meaning people are actively engaged in creating health to avoid becoming customers of the sickness industry!
Wellness (as promoted by Vitalistic Chiropractors) can be described as the interaction of the body, mind and spirit — the appreciation that everything we do, think, feel, and believe has an impact on our state of health.” This definition embraces a vision of wellness grounded in empowerment, choice, and awareness.
Chiropractic is based on the philosophy that the body is a self-healing, self-regulating and self-developing organism and that our nervous system is the master control system of the body. If we cut our finger it heals – all by itself, with no thought from us. We live our lives through our nervous systems and every system of our body is working without us thinking about how to heal that cut, how to breathe, how to digest our food, how to pump blood to and from our heart, how to create hormones from the food we just ate etc etc. All this and much, much, much more is happening without our conscious thought. Cells performing millions of chemical reactions every second!! That is just too big to even contemplate since we have trillions of cells in our body – each and every cell performing millions of reactions every second!
What happens when there are interferences to the nervous system – the power house and super highway of the body? It reduces our capacity to express health and vitality on every level. Daily thoughts, traumas and toxins can create these interferences which we need to be proactive in dealing with. Chiropractors are uniquely trained to remove interferences to the nervous system to give the body the very best opportunity to heal and regenerate as it was designed to do, however if we desire health, we have a personal responsibility to be actively engaged in wellness principles to help support our bodies. It would make no sense at all to continue to think and act out negative thoughts and emotions, put ourselves in harms way where we would be constantly causing physical stress to our spines and consuming toxic food and drinks which all cause havoc to our bodies, while expecting to be vitally healthy. This is impossible. If we were to treat our cars with the same level of abuse, very soon they would break down too.
When Chiropractors address interferences, commonly referred to as misalignments (or subluxations) it allows the brain and the body to send and receive information unhindered which is vital to the wellness experience.
Chiropractic Wellness is a way of life – a way to live, a way to think and a way to be.
Join Chiropractic Life on Facebook: www.facebook.com/chiropracticlife
- Dr Richard McMinn - Chiropractor Brighton
- Dr Helen Martin - Chiropractor Brighton
- Dr Glenn Fredericksen - Chiropractor Brighton