Chiropractic care during pregnancy is a safe and effective way to relieve back pain!
Are you one of the 70% of pregnant women who experience back pain?
Unfortunately most pregnant women experiencing back pain end up with a serious disruption to their lifestyle including time off work, or loss of sleep, fatigue etc. Rarely, if ever, is Chiropractic recommended by the medical profession during pregnancy, however thousands of women throughout the world benefit from regular Chiropractic Care during pregnancy and during child birth itself! Having had five pregnancies myself and experienced the benefits of regular chiropractic care throughout – even up until the last day and into labour, I often wonder how women give birth without the benefit of a fully functioning nervous system! We had five successful homebirths (this will be covered in a future post) and I personally believe regular Chiropractic care enabled me to do this successfully and easily. Back pain, especially during pregnancy is often dismissed as ” normal”! Back pain in pregnancy is not normal – it is a result of a misaligned spine and interference to the nervous system.
So what can you do if you are pregnant and experiencing pain?
There is hope. Chiropractic! No other health care specialist is better trained to deal with the bio mechanical changes that are occurring during your pregnancy. Pregnancy should be one of the most wonderful times in a woman’s life, a time to reconnect with yourself and connect with the new life growing within. Don’t let back pain spoil it!
A study in Sweden (Hammar, 1988) proved that spinal adjustments, especially of the sacroiliac joint (the hips) provided long-term pain relief in 70% of the subjects and temporary relief in the other 30%. This confirmed what midwives and chiropractors have long been saying; chiropractic care during pregnancy can bring effective relief and more pregnant mothers are turning to chiropractic care during their pregnancies .
When a woman becomes pregnant, her body undergoes a variety of physiological and endocrinological changes as the baby inside her womb starts to develop. Due to these changes, the pregnant mother could suffer from cases of misalignment in her joint or spine that results in either one or a combination of the following:
• More prominent spinal curve
• Enlargement of the abdomen,
• Pelvic changes,
• Changes in posture.
Due to these changes, some women experience chronic lower back pain throughout their pregnancy. For others this might mean having difficulty attaining proper balance and alignment. Chiropractic care can help to realign the spine for better posture that puts less pressure on your nervous system. Also, misalignment of your pelvis may limit the baby’s development inside your womb.
Chiropractors who care for pregnant women adjust the intensity of their treatment procedures according to the stage of the pregnancy and may use an “activator” to deliver a precise and measured force. In some cases, chiropractors suggest stretching and exercise routines that are safe to do while pregnant.
Benefits of Pregnancy Chiropractic Care
- It helps achieve a healthier pregnancy because the nervous system is free of interference.
- It provides natural pain relief instead of taking drugs that are especially dangerous to the developing foetus.
- It enables women to have better control over symptoms or other conditions associated with pregnancy.
- It enables faster, more efficient delivery with less pain.
- It may help to avoid a cesarean section.
When the human body is subjected to extremely stressful situations, its level of balance and ability to adapt is crucial in determining how the body will respond. Difficult deliveries are often caused by misalignment of the pelvis which slows down the descent of the foetus towards the mother’s birth canal. Limited range of motion also affects a woman’s ability to labour more efficiently, therefore, chiropractic care enables women to address the above problems and significantly reduce the amount of time spent in labor. Chiropractic adjustments also helps ensure that the baby is in the correct position for delivery, which will naturally reduce the time spent in labour.
Visit our clinic for a personal consultation with one of the Doctors of Chiropractic to find out how your nervous system may be the solution you have been looking for to help your pregnancy. Chiropractic Life is passionately committed to your success and provides specialized care for many health problems not commonly associated with the spine.
CALL NOW to schedule your free (no obligation) consultation to see if we can help you. You’ll be glad you did!
Join Chiropractic Life on Facebook: www.facebook.com/chiropracticlife